Hey, would you look at that?! Austin FC are on a bit of a heater having taken 10 points in four games and now find themselves in 5th place. A critical three game road trip comes to an end Wednesday night in Vancouver followed by a weekend home match against Sporting Kansas City before the Leagues Cup break.
I think there are two ways to look at this recent form:
- HELL YEAH WE’RE BACK BABY!!!!
- 10 points are great, but there have been some seriously shaky moments the last two weeks and ATX could easily have lost both road matches. Plus, some serious questions still need to be answered about the 31-game stretch of bad offensive performances.
I tend to take the stance of point #2, but a win or draw in Vancouver would go a long way towards changing some minds.
Elsewhere, it’s midweek madness in MLS, and I’ve got a job that wants me to do work for some reason, so this is going to be quick.
MLS Sickos Game Of the Midweek
Colorado Rapids vs Portland Timbers – 8:30 p.m. (Apple TV)
On one hand, its only one half of soccer. They didn’t finish last weekend thanks to weather. On the other hand, I can’t recommend watching this mess.
6:30 p.m. Block (All games on Apple TV)
New England Revolution vs Atlanta United
New York Red Bulls vs FC Cincinnati
Neither of these games have any impact on Austin FC’s playoff chances. Watch the USA vs Panama Gold Cup match instead. It will be more entertaining and something incredibly stupid is likely to happen.
See what I mean? Enjoy the ridiculousness of CONCACAF anytime you can.
7:30 p.m. Block (All games on Apple TV)
Houston Dynamo vs Minnesota United
Sporting Kansas City vs Real Salt Lake
Nashville SC vs Philadelphia Union
Chicago Fire vs Club de Foot Montreal
- Anything but a Houston win is perfectly acceptable down in the Shell Swamp.
- A KC upset of RSL would potentially draw Austin closer to 4th, but we also need to start building space between us and the non-playoff teams. A draw is probably the best result for ATXFC.
9:30 p.m. Block (All games on Apple TV)
LAFC vs St Louis CITY
San Jose Earthquakes vs Seattle Sounders
- Top of the table matchup in the City of Angels. An LAFC win puts the West race in pure chaos mode. A CITY victory keeps them in the clear driver’s seat. Naturally it will end up as a draw.
- The Quakes are tied with Austin on points but sit 7th thanks to tie-breakers. Seattle is in 2nd currently and well ahead of ATX. We want San Jose to drop points here to try and build breathing room.