I’ve been trying all week to find the right words for the 2022 Austin FC season. And all I can come up with is:
To the men who wear the crest and the staff that preps them, thank you.
To the fans that show up and give the Austin FC community life, thank you.
To the front office staff who puts in countless hours of work (but please stop with #AHLM), thank you.
To the ushers (love ya Charlie!), vendors, and staff at Q2 Stadium, thank you.
To our pre-game hangouts like Hopsquad, Circle, Fairweather, Oskar Blues, and the Sunoco parking lot, thank you.
Yes, last week’s loss to LAFC that ended a great season hurt, but 2022 went beyond any reasonable fan’s wildest expectations.
- A 25-point year-over-year jump
- Finishing 2nd in the West and making the Western Conference Final
- A CONCACAF Champions League berth
- Copa Tejas Champions and a parking lot celebration
- Beating Frisco in the playoffs
- A penalty shootout in our first ever playoff match
- 6 different two goal comebacks
- A legit MVP candidate (Driussi was snubbed)
- Back-to-back five goal games to start the year.
- A feud with Andrew Weibe
- Speedos in the capo stand
- New deities to worship (Pollo & Tik Martins)
This wonderful, beautiful, fever dream of a 2nd season really had it all. I’ve seen teams that I support win championships before. But rarely have I had more fun throughout the course of a year than this one. I could wax on for many paragraphs about the season, the storylines, the players, the community, and more, but two simple words sum this year up:
Here’s to winning 5 trophies in 2023.